WBI hires purpose-driven employees that align to our culture and have or develop deep AFRL knowledge and experience. Employees are reliable ambassadors. Through their commitment we will demonstrate our national defense knowledge and innovation leadership to our customers, partners and community to differentiate from the competition.
Wright Brothers Institute’s Digital Test Bed is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of digital collaboration and communication solutions. The Digital Test Bed is a continuously evolving, learning environment designed to provide best-in-class digital collaboration tools and environments that empower our customers to work seamlessly and efficiently in a digital world.
The Digital Systems Administrator will serve a dual role:
- Support all information technology functions for internal and external users across Wright Brothers Institute (WBI) facilities, projects, and platforms, while also providing support and maintenance to existing applications and the development of new technical solutions, where applicable.
- Actively engage with Digital Test Bed partners and customers to help identify, adopt, and operate state of the industry tools and techniques best suited to solve challenging problems and address emerging needs.
The Digital Systems Administrator shall support the WBI Digital Test Bed Program Manger to satisfy the needs of the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Digital Capabilities Directorate (DCD) and to execute the Digital Test Bed Program. In doing so, the Digital System Administrator shall provide technical expertise that will complement WBI’s existing network of innovation experts and enhance program capture and delivery. The Digital Systems Administrator shall be responsible for supporting and operating a portfolio of hardware, software, and digital capabilities while also training and guiding Test Bed customers in their use of these tools.
- Design and maintain hybrid cloud/on prem data systems and infrastructure, including the development and implementation of hardware, software and virtual environments.
- Analyze, develop, modify, test and maintain the system including software patches, builds and upgrades.
- Perform break/fix troubleshooting, server/software updates and feature enhancements to all systems and general IT infrastructure.
- Verifies and validates systems and ensures they meet internal and external requirements.
- Diagnose problems and provide recommendations for improvement on existing and new systems.
- Ensure the Test Bed is equipped with the necessary hardware, software, and tools to support on-premises, remote and hybrid digital collaboration activities effectively.
- Develop expert level understanding of existing and emerging digital technologies to support Test Bed customers and goals.
- Implement and enforce security protocols, data privacy measures, and compliance standards within the test bed.
- Assist customers with navigating the digital capabilities available. Identify the best tools and practices to meet their needs.
- Lead onboarding and initial training efforts to ensure adoption of new tools and processes.
- Measure and evaluate the effectiveness and performance of digital capabilities, tools, processes and programs.
- Support IT and physical security compliance programs and policies.
- Participate in continuous process development and improvement.
- Develop, maintain, and administer compliant hardware, software and virtual systems.
- Execute compliance initiatives including risk management, security assessment, back-up, recovery, incident response and reporting.
- Build and maintain security controls, requirements, and practices
- Develop expertise in NIST, CMMC and other relevant security frameworks
- Monitor daily operations, including server hardware, software, and operating systems.
- Coordinate technology installations, upgrades, and maintenance.
- Select and purchase new and replacement hardware and software, when necessary.
- Test, troubleshoot and modify information systems so that they operate effectively.
- Generating performance reports for operating systems.
- Provide world-class customer service and IT support to onsite and remote users.
- Assist in execution and production of hybrid and virtual meetings and events.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Relevant IT/technology/security certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in STEM or related field
- Master’s Degree
- Minimum 5 years of experience in IT, system administration, software development or other relevant experience. Demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- Working knowledge of software and software development sufficient to provide support to software development projects.
- Experience supporting cloud computing, virtual servers, machine learning, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, Git/Gitlab, Confluence, Docker or similar platforms.
- Team player, able to collaborate with project managers, service directors, and functional partners.
- Participation in technology development programs, from technology/product conception through commercialization.
- Experience supporting, training, and educating end-users with a customer service focus.
- Experience with AFRL, Air Force, Department of Defense of other Federal departments/agencies desired.
- Experience facilitating training sessions, rapid improvement events or technology evaluations desired.
- Must be an exclusive U.S. Citizen.
- Must be eligible to obtain a DOD Security Clearance.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. Some travel may be required with most being regional and within Ohio.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts.
- Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to regularly talk and hear.
Follow us on social media or subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date on WBI job openings.
Wright Brothers Institute provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.